Inspired by Joshua Weissman
- 100% hydration – 100 g distilled water at room temperature up to 80 degrees F, 100 g total flour
- 60% whole wheat
- 40% rye
- Clear container with screw-on lid, such as a Mason jar
- Kitchen scale
- When starting a new container measure and zero the scale
- If not starting from scratch, add 25 g starter and measure new weight
- Write this weight on a piece of masking tape and save it for later
- When refreshing starter, stir and discard all but 25 g
- Add flour, water and mix thoroughly – check the bottom!
- Screw on lid, loosely
- Add tape to where the starter sits so you can watch it rise!